Medical Accountants

Accounntants 4 NHS Doctors

Tax Accountant is a network of experienced accountants for medical professionals. our Medical Tax Accountants offer a wide range of accounting and tax planning services; Contact us today to discuss your requirements

Get Professional Help for Your Business

specialists medical accountants


Our team of medical tax accountants and advisers specialise in providing accountancy, tax compliance and business planning services for doctors, NHS Conculatnts and locum doctors. With over a decade of experience supporting the unique needs of medical professionals, we have extensive skills and knowledge across all areas of accountancy, taxation, tax planning, savings, and healthcare business finance. We use our expertise best to support doctors, locum doctors, and healthcare practices, gaining the optimal outcomes for your situation. We offer flexible consultation options, including phone, video, or safe in-person meetings at our offices. If you have not received dedicated service tailored, switch to accountants specialising in the medical field. Contact our Medical Accountants and Accountants for NHS Doctors today to discuss how we can help support your practice’s accounting and tax needs.

Who We Are ?

We Are Professional Accountants, Tax Advisors and Business Consultants

Our team consists of  TAX accountants, Ex HMRC Tax Inspectors and industry known business consultants experienced in medical tax compliance

Choose the best Medical Accountants

If you are employed or self employed as locum, let our team of best medical accountants take care of your tax compliance and Planning. 


We are here to help you with any questions you may have

NHS doctors are typically employed on a PAYE (Pay As You Earn) basis. This means that your employer deducts income tax and National Insurance contributions automatically from your salary. The amount of tax you pay depends on your income level and is calculated based on the UK’s progressive tax rates. Your tax code, which you can find on your payslip, determines how much tax is taken from your salary. It’s important to check that your tax code is correct to avoid paying too much or too little tax.

As an NHS doctor, you can claim tax relief on fees or subscriptions paid to approved professional bodies or learned societies if necessary. For example, subscriptions to the General Medical Council or the Royal College of Physicians can be claimed. To claim this relief, you must have paid the fees yourself without reimbursement from your employer.

You might be classified as self-employed or employed if you work locum shifts, depending on your working arrangements. As a self-employed individual, you are responsible for calculating and paying your taxes through Self Assessment. This involves keeping records of your income and allowable expenses. The locum agency or hospital will handle your taxes through PAYE if you’re employed.

Contributions to the NHS Pension Scheme are eligible for tax relief. This means the money goes into your pension before income tax is deducted, effectively lowering your taxable income. However, there’s an annual allowance for pension contributions, beyond which you may have to pay a tax charge.

If you have additional income sources, such as private practice, rental income, or investment earnings, these need to be reported to HMRC. This is usually done through a self-assessment tax return. You’ll need to pay tax on this income, potentially pushing you into a higher tax bracket and increasing your overall tax rate.

Income earned from research or teaching may be subject to income tax. However, you can deduct allowable expenses related to these activities, such as travel costs, materials, and equipment. If these activities are part of your NHS employment, they will be taxed through PAYE; if they are separate, you may need to file a self-assessment tax return.

If you’re a UK resident, you must pay UK tax on your worldwide income, including earnings from abroad. You need to declare this income on a self-assessment tax return. There are provisions to avoid double taxation if you’ve already paid tax in another country.

During maternity or paternity leave, you continue to be taxed through PAYE on any statutory pay you receive. If your income changes significantly during this period, you may end up overpaying or underpaying tax, which HMRC will reconcile.

If you believe you have overpaid tax, you should contact HMRC. You can do this online, by phone, or by writing. HMRC may also automatically reconcile your tax at the end of the tax year and refund any overpayment. You can also claim a refund for overpaid tax for the previous four years.

Not answered above?

If you need advice regarding your personal circumstances, please call our office or book an online appointment.

What our clients say